Call for Papers: 2019 CGSI Conference in Lincoln, NE
Theme: Pioneers on the Prairie
Topics appropriate to this conference are numerous. Shown below is a list of potential subject matter:
- - Computers in Genealogy (family tree programs, family web sites, etc.)
- - Genealogy (Beginning, ethnic specific, US, European, traditional, on-line)
- - History of ethnic settlements, religious groups, churches, free-thinkers, fraternal organizations
- - Immigration history, Emigration history (push-pull factors), Military history
- - Austro-Hungarian Empire history, 20th century history, prehistoric history
- - Language (conversational, meanings / origins of surnames and place names, script reading)
- - Folk art, Architecture, Folk music, Folklore, Folk dance (lecture or hands-on training)
- - Modes of Transportation (in homeland, passenger ships, trains, steam boats, etc.)
- - Ethnic press, newspapers, periodicals, newsletters (Hospodár, Bratrský Vestník, Hlas, Amerikán Národní Kalendár, etc.)
- - Famous personalities (Jan Rosický, Rose Rosický, Willa Cather, Margie Sobotka, Vladimir Kucera)
- - Research institutions, Collections, museums (Clarkson Museum, Wilber Museum, Czech and Slovak Educational Center and Museum - Omaha, National Willa Cather Center, Red Cloud, NE)
- - Geography
- - Land (Homestead Act, Land Agents, Title Searches)
- - DNA studies
- - Traditions (cooking, baking, holidays, life-cycle, etc.)
Required Speaker Information
Information required from speaker candidates includes: a title, a half to one-page summary for each presentation, and a speaker bio of no more than one page. Due to travel and lodging costs, we encourage speaker candidates located outside of the Lincoln/Omaha metropolitan district to submit more than one paper.
Speakers selected for the conference will receive a complimentary admission which includes Thursday, Friday, and Saturday lunches, a syllabus, and a free vendor table. A travel allowance of 35 cents per mile or airfare, whichever is less, and lodging at the Marriott Cornhusker hotel will be provided to out of area speakers for three or more days based on their individual speaking schedule. CGSI will ask speakers for permission to record their presentation(s) so we can share some or all of the presentation on the Members Only section of our website.
If you require a speaking honorarium, please clearly state your requirements. CGSI puts on a very high quality program while attempting to maintain a reasonable registration rate for the public. A request for honoraria may impact a candidate's selection.
If you have an interest in speaking or know someone who would be an appropriate speaker in Lincoln, please forward this information to them or contact Paul Makousky, Conference Chair at: email@example.com or by US mail at 8582 Timberwood Road, Woodbury, MN 55125-7620.
Submissions are due by May 25, 2018 and shall be mailed or e-mailed to Paul Makousky at the address above. Selections will be made by August of 2018.